Tuesday, December 13, 2011

2D Animations for VAANM 160

Here are both animations for VAANM 160.

Bouncing Ball:

Flour Sack:

I'm planning on adding more to the flour sack for the final application.  Cynthia said my animations were at A level (ready for the animation program) and I just need to work on my drawing skills.  Luckily, I was able to get into VAANM 265 for next semester (drawing for animators)

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

3D Insect (Butterfly) for STAANM 150

Today I finished the 3D insect project for STAANM 150.  It may be better than my LEGO, but I think it took less time to model and to render.  I did spend more time on textures this time around however.

The final:

Early render with a terrible background and wing texture placeholder.  Mostly to check success of wing modeling.

Addition of mental car paint texture to wings to simulate iridescence.  The head is the only other shaded object.

An early composition render.  The background is too busy and the wing textures are not realistic and don't match up with the veins or other wings.

A render showing fur used on the thorax and head.  The eyes are also shaded with car paint.

An experimental composition later discarded because I wanted to maintain the blue color on the back of the wings (the front of the wings have orange and red patterns).

Close up of improved fur use, a fractal shader, and some abdomen modeling.

Final render for class.  Still needs to be updated with better texturing on the body as well as a change in lighting to make it more three dimensional.  Other than that, it's a good start.

A cleaned up render I did in March 2012 for my demo reel.  I reduced the depth of field, redid the body textures, adjusted the lighting to create a better core shadow on the body, and made a few other adjustments.

Any further suggestions are welcome.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

3D LEGO Minifigure for STAANM 150

Here's where I'll post my work from figure drawing, 2D, 3D, and my sketchbook in preparation for my animation major application at BYU.  I'll start off with my 3D here, as I have yet to find a scanner/hi res camera for my physical work.


 Rough shapes (day 2)

Better shapes (day 6)

Redid legs, added shading, started arm (day 16)

Modeled arms, hands, and sword and rendered with mental ray (day 19)

Detailed texture of sword guard and hilt (day 20)

Built room, added linked textures to head and torso, textured floor and walls (day 21)

Redid lighting, fixed wall textures, changed pose (day 25)

The only problem I have with this image is the head near the white ninja's right hand which is somewhat stuck in the floor.  Unfortunately, this image took 52 minutes to render, and I am hesitant to render it again to fix it.  Maybe I will later.

Update: I redid the final image for the end of class.  I simplified a lot of the meshes, redid the lighting, added depth of field, and rearranged some of the models in the background.